The use of electronic nicotine delivery systems (or e-cigarettes) is increasing. At Decatur Smiles in Decatur AL, we are concerned about the oral health risks of vaping.
What is vaping?
- Vaping is an alternative to cigarette smoking
- Instead of smoking a cigarette, users inhale vapor through an electronic device that contains nicotine
- The full, long-term effects of vaping are still widely unknown
How is it harmful to your body?
Let’s discuss the various ways vaping risks your physical health.
- Vaping is addictive
- Vaping can result in poor lung health
- Vaping yields a risk of cancer
- Vaping can elevate your risk of cardiovascular issues
- Vaping can increase your blood pressure and heart rate
- Vaping influences your dental hygiene
- While vaping is thought to be less harmful than smoking cigarettes, its full, long-term effects are still unknown
How can vaping affect your dental health?
- It can lead to death of gum tissues
- It can result in gum recession
- It contributes to tooth sensitivity
- It can cause increased risk of tooth decay, and in some cases, tooth loss
“Vaping is not a safe alternative to cigarettes or other tobacco products. When it comes to your teeth and gums, vaping could be just as dangerous as cigarette smoking.” ADA President Chad Gehani, D.D.S.
Vaping: the big picture
While vaping may be a more desirable alternative to cigarette smoking, many of the risks to the body are the same. Vaping and cigarette smoking can both result in cardiovascular, lung, and dental complications. Both forms of smoking are detrimental to the teeth and gums, according to the American Dental Association.
At Decatur Smiles in Decatur AL the dental health of our patients is of utmost importance. We offer complete general dentistry services. People from North Athens, East Mooresville, and South Cullman also come to us for restorative dentistry. Call for an appointment today!
Contact Decatur Smiles:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):