Everyone should brush their teeth at least twice a day. In this post from Decatur Smiles in Decatur AL, we’ll talk about why this is so important.
Brushing and flossing are the best ways to prevent tooth decay and gum disease. Make sure to use fluoride toothpaste and flossing with string floss in order to remove food debris from teeth and clean away plaque build-up.
If we let food stay on our teeth, the starches in it combine with the plaque. This nasty mixture forms an acid which immediately starts drilling into the enamel to form cavities. Brushing can’t get all the spaces between your teeth, so flossing helps navigate those tight corners in order to pull out any leftover
When You Brush…
- Be sure to clean all of your teeth.
- Make sure to clean the front, the sides, the inside, the outside, and the cusps.
- When you do the sides, be sure you brush along the gum-line.
- Use a gentle touch, and hold it at a 45-degree angle.
- As you clean the front and side surfaces, move the brush in gentle, circular strokes.
- Make sure you brush for at least two minutes.
- Use a pea-sized blob of fluoridated toothpaste, or more; too much is no big deal, but be sure to use enough.
At Decatur Smiles in Decatur AL, we want all of our patients to enjoy clean teeth and healthy gums. People throughout North Athens, East Mooresville, and South Cullman see us for a checkup every six months. We offer general and cosmetic dentistry. Request an appointment today!