In this post from Decatur Smiles in Decatur AL, we focus on behaviors that influence dental health. Of course, effective brushing and flossing are two important habits for healthy teeth, but there are many more things we can do to keep a healthy smile.
- Do eat a nutritious diet with a variety of foods. This is needed for overall physical health and a strong immune system.
- Do consume calcium-rich dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt to neutralize acids that are detrimental to enamel.
- Don’t eat sugary foods. Sugar triggers the production of detrimental cavity-causing acids that weaken enamel and lead to cavities.
- Don’t snack throughout the day. This accelerates plaque production and subjects the teeth to continual contact with acids.
- Don’t chew on ice (it really can crack teeth.)
- Don’t drink energy drinks. They have many substances that are detrimental to teeth.
- Other Important Tips
- Don’t use your teeth as tools. It is better to cut that knotted shoelace than to gnaw at it to try to untangle it.
- Don’t get piercings in or around your mouth.
- Don’t ignore tooth pain or sensitivity.
- If you have children, ask us about water fluoridation. If your municipal water supply is not fluoridated, you may want to give your little ones fluoride supplements.
- Don’t use a medium or hard bristle toothbrush. It can damage gums.
At Decatur Smiles in Decatur AL, we encourage all of our patients to maintain a lifestyle that promotes good dental health as well as overall physical health. People come to our office from North Athens, East Mooresville, and South Cullman for general and restorative dentistry, and many other services. Schedule your next checkup with us today!