Our teeth work hard and are constantly under assault. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with an armor of enamel—the hardest substance in the body. Tragically, enamel erosion is extremely common, though largely preventable. Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are some medications, tooth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal ailments, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
At Decatur Smiles, we educate our patients about how to keep their enamel strong and halt continued erosion if some has already occurred.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
1. Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body; once it has been eroded, it can’t be regenerated.
2. According to the NIH, 41% of adolescents already have enamel erosion. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11132512
3. Aggressive brushing can damage enamel.
4. Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as detrimental as sugared sodas.
5. Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, it’s vital to halt further erosion. There are several dental procedures that can protect the teeth that have been harmed. Call Decatur Smiles today at 256-350-5820 to schedule an examination. doctor Teichmiller will give you guidance on the best dental treatments for enamel erosion.