When it comes to teeth, some of the most popular dental procedures relate to cosmetic dentistry, like teeth whitening and porcelain veneers. But good dental health and the need to avoid cavities is still the main reason most of our patients come into Decatur Smiles.
Here are five things you should know about cavities.
1. When a tooth is permanently damaged in its hard surface, tiny openings occur. These little holes are cavities, also known as tooth decay. We can fill them; they should never be ignored.
2. Factors that contribute to tooth decay are:
Consuming sugary beverages
Poor dental hygiene
3. Cavities may get so bad that you will see pits or holes in your teeth, but symptoms may be more subtle, such as sensitivity, pain when biting, or a toothache. If you experience any of these symptoms, call us right away for an appointment.
4. Cavities are more common among children, but that doesn’t mean adults don’t have to take precautions.
5. A good dental health routine can help you avoid cavities. Be sure to brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste, floss daily, eat right and avoid snacking, and see us at Decatur Smiles every six months.
At Decatur Smiles in Decatur AL, we provide thorough general dentistry, which includes cleanings from one of our dental hygienists. We also offer cosmetic dentistry procedures like teeth whitening and veneers, and treat conditions like gum disease and TMD. Schedule an appointment with us today.